Posted By JenniferHogenson on December 5, 2010
Making the decision to live a true healthy lifestyle can be confusing for someone who is just finding out about the depths of the deceptions of what we have been taught about health from our school, our government, media, and our doctors. Figuring out exactly what to believe and from whom can seem like rigorous tasks of researching studies and weeding out all those who have a conflict of interest in our health. The bottom line is we are what we eat, breath, and absorb. We are purely a product of our environment; and nothing less. Here is a list of healthy lifestyle solutions that all of us can do to start or continue the process of healing and maintaining pristine, complete health.
1. Eating Organic Foods. The importance for organic foods cannot be stated enough. Chemically poisoned, nutrient deficient food, such as conventionally grown produce, is toxic to our bodies. To the contrary, organically grown produce provides the ultimate experience of nourishing our bodies.
2. Eating Whole Foods. Processed foods offer little to none when it comes to nutrients; and the chemicals used to give that product longevity are dangerous for us to be consuming. Chemicals used to emulsify, stabilize, preserve, inhibit mold, or add color or flavor were never meant to be a staple in our diets. Most are ingredients that are not even real food. Our bodies don't know how to process this foreign matter and the effects can be very damaging to our bodies. Many food additives are linked to cancer, neuro-disorders, and even death. These dangerous ingredients can all be easily avoided by only purchasing whole foods.
3. Eating Raw Foods. You've gotten the organic and whole foods; now just don't waste them! When we cook food over 105 degrees it loses most of the precious vitamins and ALL of the equally vital enzymes that it contains. Our bodies need these enzymes and vitamins desperately; without them our health will inevitably decline. A great way to get more raw foods into our bodies is through juicing.
4. Eating Live Food. Living foods such as grasses (wheatgrass, oatgrass etc.) and sprouts (nuts, seeds, grains etc.) have even more enzymes than raw foods! With damaged enzymes our bodies cannot absorb nor digest food nutrients; leaving us once again depleted. Again, a great way to get more living foods in to your diet is by juicing.
5. Eating a Plant Based Diet. Humans, according to our digestive tract, are herbivores. It also takes much more effort from the body to digest animal proteins. Our pancreas must work much harder and longer processing animal proteins than plant proteins. Because of the duration and extent of this process, the pancreas becomes exhausted and can not keep up with its workload; leaving free radicals to pass by and go on to do harm to the rest of our organs. While we are busy digesting animal protein; our immune system is left defenseless against whatever toxin has found its way into our bodies.
6. Juicing Organic, Raw, and Living Foods. Juicing is a genius way to get nutrients coursing through your veins almost instantly. It also provides a way to get an enormous bulk of nutrients into a condensed glass of juice. You can drink 15 pounds of vegetables a day; but there is no way you could ever eat that much....certainly not a child. To get the maximum benefit from your juicer it is important to select one that grates, then presses the fruits and vegetables into juice.
7. Using Safe Personal Care Products. Shampoos, soaps, lotions, deodorants, and toothpastes are just SOME of the products you need to watch out for when using them on your skin. Our skin is the largest organ of our bodies and what we put onto it day after day for the duration of our lives adds up... especially when the product ingredients are chemicals are known to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm. Using plant based, natural, organic products that are free from synthetics is an important part of creating a non-toxic environment.
8. Using Safe Cleaning Products. This is so important! There are extremely dangerous chemicals in what we are cleaning with. Using plant-based cleaners, natural oils, or just hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and vinegar is the safe way to keep your home clean and free from air of poor quality.
9. Filtering Water. Clean water is a very basic requirement of the human body. Ingesting water that is contaminated will most definitely lead to a contaminated body. The two main concerns are fluorine and chlorine. Municipal water companies also add fluoride to the water; in addition to the many treatment chemicals used to sanitize the water. Fluorine and chlorine are both toxic to anything that is living. Although most of the dental community, medical doctors, and government entities promote the use of fluoride for healthy teeth, it is a dangerous cancer causing neurotoxin that is completely ineffective in preventing tooth decay; but completely effective in giving one-third of the population fluorosis (fluoride poisoning). These can be removed by water filters that are designed specifically to remove these contaminants. Many of these same filters also remove pharmaceuticals, cleaning products, and personal care product residue from the water.
10. Avoiding Plastic, Teflon, Aluminum. When choosing storage containers or cookware it is always a good idea to stick to glass or ceramic. Other storage containers and cookware leach chemicals into the food; and then into our bodies creating more toxins for our body burden. When purchasing food; if it is canned be sure it is in glass and not an aluminum can. Not only is the metal not good for us; but the cans are lined with a chemical called Biphenol-A or BPA....a chemical that is currently being banned in other parts of the world and an increasing amount of individual states across America.